Purpose of the Role
To lead a team of Data Scientists, providing support and guidance to the team, and providing strategic Data Science expertise that ensures Peak can successfully deliver Decision Intelligence to our customers.
You’ll work within the Data Science team as a Data Science Team Leader, managing a team of Data Scientists, and providing expertise to the projects they are working on. As well as supporting your team, you will work closely with customers & other teams at Peak to define the theoretical and technical approach to projects to maximize the value of our solutions for our customers. The role provides you with the opportunity to drive the strategy of the Data Science team and turn this into a reality within your team by improving processes and best practices. You must have a track record of delivering high quality Data Science projects, a passion for developing and supporting a team to perform at its very best, and a strategic mindset to further improve the Data Science team going forwards.
- Line management responsibility for a team of Data Scientists. Act as a mentor for the team, sharing expertise to support their development, and ensure all customers receive high quality Data Science work.
- Work within Ops project delivery teams (with Data Scientists and Customer Success) to define the theoretical and technical approach to projects with the goal of maximizing value for our customers.
- Ensure Data Science outputs within your team meet a high standard; this includes modelling approaches, robustness of solutions and communication with customers (e.g. presentations).
- Identify, mitigate and escalate risks with customer projects when required & proactively work with others to resolve these issues
- Support Sales to identify opportunities in Data Science for our prospects, using your expertise from the industry verticals and/or solution domains of projects you oversee.
- Provide input to the Product and Engineering teams to support the build of CODI and generalization of our solutions.
- Prioritise and allocate resource within your team of Data Scientists to ensure projects are delivered on time & work with other Team Leaders to resolve resource requests across the team.
- Provide input into process and best practice improvements for the Data Science team & implement and encourage adoption of best practices within your team.
- Help to build the Data Science team, finding exceptional talent and recruiting them to Peak.
- Lead or contribute to strategic initiatives within the Data Science team that will enable the team to achieve our key results.
- Actively contribute towards the Peak strategy, and ensure all team members are aware of, and working towards achieving the strategy.
- Represent Peak at appropriate events, sharing Data Science expertise and the value of the Peak’s Data Science offering.
- Open - Happy to discuss ideas, contribute to others’ work, take on board feedback, work well in a tight-knit and supportive team and be comfortable with change. Identifies areas Data Science skills can be applied to assist other teams, and is willing to help. Communicates Data Science and other ideas clearly and effectively to internal and external stakeholders.
- Driven - Determined to help Peak succeed as a fast growing scale up technology company, by driving improvements in Data Science work. Can work under own initiative.
- Curious - Always working to better understand our customers, their world, and their challenges, and how we can better help them (and communicate that well). Keen to develop your knowledge of different businesses, what solutions are useful to them, and how to communicate with different types of stakeholders.
- Smart - Always willing to be able to back up opinions with solid reasoning, research and data. Can make our customers feel like we know their business through their data better than they do themselves. Expert in Data Science methods used to solve projects within your team and can confidently adapt and innovate with these approaches to support Data Scientists to solve new problems.
- Responsible - Takes ownership of a team, and responsibility for the tasks assigned to them. Supports their team, and wider Peak.
2 of the following points are essential:
- A passion for and experience in mentoring/leading/supporting other members in a team.
- Experience in planning data science projects from initial scoping to deployment, preferably in a commercial setting.
- Experience working in a data, analytics, or strategic role in the retail, manufacturing, or CPG industries
As well as:
- Prior experience in some of - statistical modelling, machine learning, data mining, unstructured data analytics, natural language processing.
- Programming skills/concepts and the ability to pick up new technology with ease.
- Prior experience in R, Python, SQL and/or other statistical tools/languages are a plus.
- The ability to understand and present findings to a non-technical audience.
- Prior experience in communicating and collaborating with external stakeholders.
What we offer
- Opportunity to make a large impact in a fast-growing company with global ambitions and influence Peak’s early success in entering the global market.
- Share options / Equity in Peak - Peak is our company, Peak is your company
- 25 days annual leave when you start (rising with each year of service up to 30), plus 8 days public holidays (3 flexible days for you to use when convenient)
- A fantastic working environment with open communication channels, flat team structure and a truly collaborative style.
- Flexible culture - Hybrid working model (Clubhouse/Home) and flexible hours with work life balance in mind.
- Opportunity to work from anywhere in the world for 1 month of the year
- Great maternity leave benefits (more details here).
- Mental and physical health support through a variety of channels, e.g., Headspace and Spill app subscriptions, online yoga/boxing/HIIT classes, regular team days and social activities (online at the moment).
- Cycle to work initiative and public transport season ticket loans.
- Learn from like minded & talented team members across multiple disciplines.
- Opportunity to develop in various areas that you may take an interest in as part of your personal development.
Peak is the pioneer of a new category of enterprise software, Decision Intelligence; the commercial application of AI to optimize business performance. Decision Intelligence allows companies to fulfill their potential, and grow revenues and profits. Peak’s platform is used by leading brands across industries such as retail, CPG, direct-to-consumer, construction and manufacturing. Peak’s customers include Nike, PepsiCo, KFC, PrettyLittleThing, Superdry and CJ Group.
Peak has been named a Gartner ‘Cool Vendor’ for AI in retail, and was also named in The 10 Best Technology Companies to Work for 2021 with the Best Companies 3-star ‘World Class’ accreditation, which recognizes extraordinary levels of employee engagement. Peak is an Amazon Web Services (AWS) Retail Competency Partner and Machine Learning Competency Partner, and is ISO 27001 accredited.