Purpose of the Role
To lead a team of Data Scientists, providing support and guidance to the team, and providing strategic Data Science expertise that ensures Peak can successfully deliver Decision Intelligence to our customers.
You’ll work within the Data Science team as a Data Science Team Leader, managing a team of Data Scientists, and providing expertise to the projects they are working on. As well as supporting your team, you will work closely with customers & other teams at Peak to define the theoretical and technical approach to projects to maximize the value of our solutions for our customers. The role provides you with the opportunity to drive the strategy of the Data Science team and turn this into a reality within your team by improving processes and best practices. You must have a track record of delivering high quality Data Science projects, a passion for developing and supporting a team to perform at its very best, and a strategic mindset to further improve the Data Science team going forwards.
- Line management responsibility for a team of Data Scientists. Act as a mentor for the team, sharing expertise to support their development, and ensure all customers receive high quality Data Science work.
- Work within Ops project delivery teams (with Data Scientists and Customer Success) to define the theoretical and technical approach to projects with the goal of maximizing value for our customers.
- Ensure Data Science outputs within your team meet a high standard; this includes modelling approaches, robustness of solutions and communication with customers (e.g. presentations).
- Identify, mitigate and escalate risks with customer projects when required & proactively work with others to resolve these issues
- Support Sales to identify opportunities in Data Science for our prospects, using your expertise from the industry verticals and/or solution domains of projects you oversee.
- Provide input to the Product and Engineering teams to support the build of our platform and generalization of our solutions.
- Prioritise and allocate resource within your team of Data Scientists to ensure projects are delivered on time & work with other Team Leaders to resolve resource requests across the team.
- Provide input into process and best practice improvements for the Data Science team & implement and encourage adoption of best practices within your team.
- Help to build the Data Science team, finding exceptional talent and recruiting them to Peak.
- Lead or contribute to strategic initiatives within the Data Science team that will enable the team to achieve our key results.
- Actively contribute towards the Peak strategy, and ensure all team members are aware of, and working towards achieving the strategy.
- Represent Peak at appropriate events, sharing Data Science expertise and the value of the Peak’s Data Science offering.
- Open - Happy to discuss ideas, contribute to others’ work, take on board feedback, work well in a tight-knit and supportive team and be comfortable with change. Identifies areas Data Science skills can be applied to assist other teams, and is willing to help. Communicates Data Science and other ideas clearly and effectively to internal and external stakeholders.
- Driven - Determined to help Peak succeed as a fast growing scale up technology company, by driving improvements in Data Science work. Can work under own initiative.
- Curious - Always working to better understand our customers, their world, and their challenges, and how we can better help them (and communicate that well). Keen to develop your knowledge of different businesses, what solutions are useful to them, and how to communicate with different types of stakeholders.
- Smart - Always willing to be able to back up opinions with solid reasoning, research and data. Can make our customers feel like we know their business through their data better than they do themselves. Expert in Data Science methods used to solve projects within your team and can confidently adapt and innovate with these approaches to support Data Scientists to solve new problems.
- Responsible - Takes ownership of a team, and responsibility for the tasks assigned to them. Supports their team, and wider Peak.
2 of the following points are essential:
- A passion for and experience in mentoring/leading/supporting other members in a team.
- Experience in planning data science projects from initial scoping to deployment, preferably in a commercial setting.
- Experience working in a data, analytics, or strategic role in the retail, manufacturing, or CPG industries
As well as:
- Prior experience in some of - statistical modelling, machine learning, data mining, unstructured data analytics, natural language processing.
- Programming skills/concepts and the ability to pick up new technology with ease.
- Prior experience in R, Python, SQL and/or other statistical tools/languages are a plus.
- The ability to understand and present findings to a non-technical audience.
- Prior experience in communicating and collaborating with external stakeholders.
- Opportunity to make a large impact in a fast-growing company with global ambitions and influence Peak’s early success in entering the global market.
- Share options / Equity in Peak - Peak is our company, Peak is your company.
- Flexible culture - Hybrid working model (Clubhouse/Home) and flexible hours with work life balance in mind.
- 33 days annual leave, inclusive of bank holidays, rising with each year of service up to 38 days.
- Family leave benefits, including a world class maternity pay policy (more details here).
- A fantastic working environment with open communication channels, autonomous high performance culture and a truly collaborative style.
- Opportunity to work from anywhere in the world for 1 month of the year, after one years service.
- Mental and physical health support through a variety of channels, e.g., Headspace and Spill app subscriptions, online yoga/boxing/HIIT classes, regular team days and social activities.
- Cycle to work initiative and public transport season ticket loans.
- Working with cutting edge tech - you will develop skills and experience essential in the modern economy.
- Learn from like minded & talented team members across multiple disciplines.
- Opportunity to develop in various areas that you may take an interest in as part of your personal development.
Inclusion and Diversity at Peak
Our mission at Peak is to help businesses do great things with AI - we are the innovators, the disruptors and the gamechangers.
Diverse and inclusive companies will drive the fourth industrial revolution - and we will lead from the front.
Over the next 5 years, we need more than words to create a stronger company and a fairer society, which is why Peak is committed to not only creating an amazing place to work, but a diverse and inclusive one too.
We want to create awesome teams and leadership, where everyone can bring their authentic selves to work and their ideas to solve the complex problems for the companies and the communities we serve.
Founded in Manchester in 2015 by Richard Potter, David Leitch and Atul Sharma, Peak is on a mission to change the way the world works. We have offices in Manchester, London, Jaipur and Brisbane. Our decision intelligence platform provides businesses all over the world with AI-powered solutions that drive commercial outcomes.
Connecting data sets from across an organisation to provide predictive insight and recommended actions, the Peak platform directs fast and effective decision making. It is used by leading brands including Nike, Pepisco, KFC, Sika and PrettyLittleThing.
In August 2021, Peak announced a $75m Series C funding round led by SoftBank’s Vision Fund II. We have grown significantly over the last three years, and now number over 200 people globally. This year Peak received a Best Companies 3-star accreditation, which recognizes extraordinary levels of employee engagement and was ranked by The Sunday Times as one of the Best 100 Companies to Work For in 2020 and 2021.
The Peak community exists to support data scientists and analysts who want to make a difference and drive change within their organizations. Learn how to build models that deliver on commercial needs, troubleshoot problems and exchange ideas with data scientists from a range of backgrounds.
If you are wrestling to tie your work to the real-world, this is the place for you. If you are incredible at deploying applications that deliver commercial outcomes, share your skills. Whether you are an experienced or an aspiring DS, you have a vital role to play in our community.
Join our community today - here